Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Bake a banana sultana cake


It has been pretty warm here today, I gave the vegies a good water this morning so I hope they cope ok with the next few days (Forecast is for 40 degrees + for the next 4 days!). I don't think it will get that hot down here, but you never know.
My boys have been busy rocking out with their friends, playing guitar hero 'world tour', so I thought I would take some time to cook up a storm! This morning I made a banana sultana cake,(or "that donut cake" as my son calls it) which is a family favourite and a great way to use up squishy bananas, it is really delicous! (they ate half for morning tea).



I thought I'd put the recipe up, so here, it is!

INGREDIENTS
125gr butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
3-4 large bananas
1 cup sultanas
1 1/2 cups SR flour
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
1tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla essence

Cream butter and sugar until light. (I usually half melt the butter in the microwave to make it easier to cream, I get impatient if it takes too long to mix!) Add the eggs, one at a time beat well after each one. Mash bananas and add to mixture with sultanas. Dissolve bicarb in milk, add vanilla. Add to mixture alternating with sifted flour. Stir well. Place in a greased ring tin and bake at 350 F degrees ( 180 C degrees, or moderately hot oven) for 30-40 minutes.
I ice the cake and sprinkle cinnamon on top when it has cooled. Yummy!

I hope that makes sense!
I also had a go at making apricot jam as the apricot trees are in glut at the moment here.
It worked out quite well I think, it was a pretty simple recipe and was a lot quicker than I thought it would be. I was very happy and felt very domestic with my 8 jars of jam sitting on the bench! I will probably make another batch later in the week if I can scronge a few more jars.
I will post how to make apricot jam tomorrow if I get a chance.

We've got a really tough day planned tomorrow - water garden first thing in the morning, then smother on the sunscreen and hit the beach for the rest of the day, swimming, reading, playing with the kids, and generally try to keep cool. It's a hard life ain't it! lol.

I hope you are all able to enjoy the last week of the school holidays too. Next week it's back into the school routines and regimental schedule, but for now it is really nice not to have any comittments.

No comments:

Post a Comment