Friday, April 8, 2011

Autumn happenings....

Hello there!
Long time no post!
I know it is over a year since my last post, shame on me, but I have decided to start posting here again, maybe once a week will be a good aim to start with.

The garden has been going great guns over the year I have been away from this blog, and I feel we are eating a far larger proportion of home grown and local produce, which I am very happy with. This is largely due to the super productivity of the Crib Point Community Garden, the communal beds and my own personal plot just have such abundance and variety that I can usually find what I need there or in my own vege garden.
Finding the time to actually get down there and help is the big challenge, as my home garden really needs my attention badly!!
Oh well, you can only do what you can do I guess, and i try to get down there once a week at the moment, so it is better than nothing.

At home, I have planted a heap of seeds for Autumn, lots of brassicas ( chinese cabbage, sugarloaf cabbage, purple broccoli, green broccoli, cauliflower, lime green cauliflower, kohl rabi, pak choy, kale)
and other things (sugar peas, podding peas, snow peas, celeriac, florence fennel, spinach beet)

As you can see from the photos above the germination has been pretty good, with only the kale not coming up( I think the seed was old), so I have lots to plant out very soon!
Forgot to sow onions, so might just direct sow those into the garden.

I have been busy clearing out the summer stuff that has finished and preparing for the Autumn planting, Max has discovered that it is quite fun helping me, so I've had some company, which has been nice.



The chooks are still here, although not laying too many eggs, grrrrrr, I think they are getting old and worn out, it doesn't bother me too much, I think they have earned a nice easy retirement under the fruit trees.
We might have a day trip out over the holidays and get some nice new young girls to refresh the flock and get some good egg layers again.


My little golden chook is the only one who likes to go wandering out of their run, into the rest of the garden. She has a lovely time foraging around, eating the left over tomatoes and other stuff. (She is also one of the only ones still laying, so the extra protein and goodies she finds must be of benefit to her)



OK, I'm off to do some work in the garden instead of talking about it!
Have a great weekend, and it's nice to be back!!

5 comments:

  1. those trays of vege are looking wonderful !
    off to do the same today :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo you lucky thing to have a community garden to enjoy...unfortunaly all my garden has to be done by myself. :)
    Mxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jules? Are you still there and gardening? I have a garden blog too ... I also haven't posted for a while (Nov last year), but it's time, I think ...
    I found you via Mereknits blog and surprise surprise ended up back home again.
    Here's hoping you've survived all the radical weather !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed your blog today and hope you will be posting for me to catch up with your veg. We are getting allotment fever here too because we have not been able to do anything because of the terrible spring weather here in the UK. There is still snow on the ground for goodness sake! Jo x
    http://joeveryday19.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete