Sunday, December 28, 2008

First ever Blog!

This is my first posting ever on my first blog ever, so I hope it doesn't take long to catch on to how this all works!
I thought I might use this blog to record my attempts to feed my family firstly from my own 1/2 acre block, and our local community garden and secondly from our local region ( Mornington Peninsula). I have been trying to do this off and on for several years, with very varied levels of success!
I really enjoy reading about other peoples gardening adventures and food producing exploits, so I thought I would add my somewhat chaotic garden into the mix.
I am a mother of 3 gorgeous boys who could not care less about our garden, they tend to just roll their eyes and put up with my eccentric watering regime and know they will probably find me somewhere outside if they need me. They have nearly all reached double digits now so I can disappear from the house to the garden for an hour or so with out them even noticing and without the house being destroyed in my absense. Freedom!!!
I am also the wife of a great guy who doesn't really see the attraction of 'grow your own' and is not into gardening at all, but is quite happy for me to do what ever I like in my pursuit of fresh, healthy food for us all to eat. Our life is very full with school and sporting activites , music lessons, close extended family, keeping up with friends and other miscellaneous happenings, but I still find that my garden is a constant source of interest, wonder, happiness and of course delicious pickings!!

So hopefully this blog will become my ramblings about us becoming more self sufficient, our successes, failures and on going experiments into eating locally as much as possible, and providing for ourselves where we can (and my somewhat futile attempts to engage my boys in growing our food and eating the best veg and fruit that we can - they are quite attached to highly processed industrial eats, and love nothing better than charcoal chicken and chips from the local shop,(I have to agree it is pretty damn good!) but I think they are eating more home grown stuff, which has to be a good thing!)
I will also try and put up some really yummy recipes that we all like to eat , because people who care about growing their own food, I find, generally love eating delicious things; foodies from the spade to the fork!
I will also tell you more about our place - half an acre of garden, chickens, fruit trees, vegie garden and still heaps to do.
Happy gardening and eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment